Introduction to the model
The Yuanpei Project is a "strengthening foundation" named after the old principal of Peking University, Mr. Cai Yuanpei. Undergraduate education reform plan to dilute majors, teach students in accordance with their aptitude, and diversify training. In September 2001, the school established the Yuanpei Program Management Committee to promote the school-wide undergraduate teaching reform on the one hand; on the other hand, it held the Yuanpei Program experimental class to implement the new talent training model.
Since the reform and opening up, Peking University has continuously carried out the reform and exploration of talent training model. In the late 1980s, on the basis of investigation and research, the school put forward the 16-character teaching reform policy of "strengthening the foundation, diminishing the major, teaching students in accordance with their aptitude, and diversifying training". At the historical moment when Peking University entered its second century, the country formulated a development strategy for rejuvenating the country through science and education, and issued a strategic call for the creation of a world-class university. This has injected new vitality into the development of Peking University, and at the same time put forward urgent requirements for school education reform.
In 1999, when the school's plan to create a world-class university was officially launched, in order to more clearly define the ideas and direction of school education and teaching reform, the school established a research team for undergraduate education and teaching development strategy to start new talent training Model research and exploration. On the basis of conscientiously summarizing the experience and lessons of the long-term education reform of Peking University at home and abroad, and after repeated demonstrations, the school has put forward a new goal and new model for training talents in Peking University's undergraduate education.
First, as a comprehensive research university with the goal of building a world-class university and the responsibility of training leaders for the prosperity of the nation and the country, the basic goal of its talent training is to contribute to the country’s socialist modernization. The career trains top professionals who can play a leading role in various industries. But on the whole, this task cannot be accomplished by undergraduate education alone. It can only be accomplished in a complete university education including undergraduates and graduate students. So what is the task of undergraduate education? It is to carry out the basic education of higher education and cultivate high-quality talents with generous basic knowledge, strong sense of innovation, good self-learning and practical ability, and such talents can become the source of graduate education (in this sense, undergraduates). Education is mainly to lay the foundation for postgraduate education), and it can also become a compound talent with a wide range of social needs.
Secondly, in order to achieve the above goals and establish the basic status of undergraduate education, it is necessary to implement general education in the lower grades, implement wide-caliber professional education in the upper grades, and carry out a comprehensive reform of the learning system at the same time. A credit system for free elective courses under the guidance of teaching plans and tutors.
After two years of discussion and deliberation, the above-mentioned educational ideas have been gradually determined and become the basic concepts of Peking University's undergraduate education in the new century. The "Yuan Pei Project" was formally implemented in the fall of 2001 in order to practice this educational philosophy.
Practice of Teaching Reform
Since the implementation of the Yuanpei Plan, Peking University has promoted the school-wide teaching content, Reform of teaching methods and textbooks, adjust teaching plans; promote the free choice of public courses; start to study the relationship and connection between undergraduate education and graduate education; study how to more effectively carry out student ideological, political and life management work after the credit system is implemented.
Recruit students by subject
Since 2003, most of the schools and departments in the school have adopted the admissions based on department or subject. Candidates fill in their volunteers according to the department, and are admitted according to the department. After being admitted, students enter the corresponding department, first learn the general elective courses and the common basic courses of this subject. After one, two or three years of basic courses, they will be divided, and the students can choose their own majors according to their own interests.
Implement general education
2002-2003 comprehensively revised the undergraduate teaching plan, reducing the total graduation credits from 150 credits to less than 140 credits, and reducing the credits of compulsory courses to the total Within 60% of the credits, the restricted elective courses will be cancelled, and the space for students to freely choose courses and majors will be increased; the credit requirements for 16 general elective courses of general education will be increased, and the concept of general education will be practiced. Build 320 general elective courses for quality education for undergraduates, and prepare teachers and courses for general education in lower grades.
New learning system
The public courses of the whole school break the fixed pattern of uniformly arranging courses according to professional classes in the past. While vigorously reforming the teaching content, implement a new learning system: ensure compulsory courses Under the premise that the nature of the class remains unchanged, students choose the time and class of study according to their own different situations; the relevant departments and departments will start classes based on the students' selection of courses under the guidance of the teaching plan. Public political theory courses, ideological and moral courses, physical education courses, liberal arts computer courses, and college English courses have been started and gradually implemented. At present, most of the public compulsory courses in the school have realized free choice of class time and class. At the same time, a tutorial system is fully implemented for undergraduates.
Open experimental classes
The experimental classes of Yuanpei Project are trained in accordance with the new educational philosophy and the new model, that is, general education and university basic education are implemented in the lower grades. A wide-caliber professional education is implemented for grades, and a free course selection credit system under the guidance of teaching plans and tutors is implemented in the learning system.
Introduction to the experimental class
New school-running philosophy
The Yuanpei Project is an undergraduate education program launched by Peking University in 2001 and named after the old principal Cai Yuanpei. Teaching reform plan, and open experimental classes. The plan focuses on the needs of future social development for talent quality and talent specifications, and adheres to the education philosophy of people-oriented, ethics first, and professional excellence. The experimental class is based on the new school-running model and training program to create a good foundation, strong ability and quality. High-ranking first-class undergraduate graduates lay a solid foundation for them to become internationally competitive talents after completing the entire higher education.
The Yuanpei plan strives to implement the school-running policy of "strengthening the foundation, diminishing the major, teaching students in accordance with their aptitude, and splitting training", making full use of the advantages of Peking University's comprehensive disciplines and good teaching resources to practice general education for the lower grades of the undergraduate stage Combining the educational philosophy with high-grade wide-caliber professional education, highlighting the comprehensive training of the three elements of foundation, ability and quality, providing graduate education with high-quality and innovative backup students; providing graduates with strong adaptability for economic construction and social development .
New school-running model
1. Credit system:
The experimental class of Yuanpei Project implements the credit system. The basis is that tutors guide students to choose courses freely within the framework of the various professional teaching plans of the Yuanpei Program. Students complete the public basic courses, general elective courses and the subjects set in the teaching plan of the selected major, and complete the required credits to graduate and obtain a bachelor's degree certificate in the major they have studied.
(1) The primary general education content of the students in the Yuanpei project experimental class is:
The public classes of the whole school (English, politics, sports, computer);
General elective courses (mathematics and natural sciences, social sciences, philosophy and psychology, history, linguistics, literature and art
Five fields in total);
Public basic courses (Science: Advanced Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology; Liberal Arts: Advanced Mathematics, Humanities and Society
(2) The content of high-grade wide-caliber professional education is for students to study professionally in relevant departments and departments, and study the professional basic courses and optional elective courses specified by each department for the Yuanpei plan.
2. Tutorial system:
The experimental class of Yuanpei Project implements the tutorial system. During the study period, students can get the full guidance of the student study guidance committee composed of senior professors from various departments of liberal arts and sciences. Each instructor will give guidance on choosing courses, majors, learning content and methods for their respective guidance objects. The tutor is recommended by the relevant department and appointed by the president of Peking University.
3. Flexible educational system:
The experimental class of Yuanpei Project implements a flexible educational system. Under the guidance of the tutor, students can arrange a 3-6 year study plan according to their own situation, and they can graduate in as little as 3 years. If you have not completed the undergraduate study tasks within 4 years, you can continue to study after 4 years until you graduate with full credits.
4. Free choice of major:
In principle, the experimental class of Yuanpei Program can freely choose major. When entering the school, students are only classified according to liberal arts and science, regardless of major. The lower grades mainly carry out general education. After they have a better understanding of Peking University's subject status, professional settings, training goals and other conditions, they can usually put forward their desired majors according to their own interests before the fourth semester. However, the final determination of each student's major depends on the relevant professional education resources and the student's comprehensive conditions.
The experimental class of Yuanpei Plan began to enroll students in 2001. The experimental class has been launched, and it quickly has a wide-ranging impact in society. Students and parents are becoming more and more welcome to Yuanpei Project through personal experience. After 2002, Yuanpei plans to recruit students directly from the college entrance examination students for experimental classes. In the past few years, the average admission scores of the class of students have been getting higher and higher year by year. Among the 140 freshmen of the 2003 grade, 8 of them ranked first in the total scores of the provincial college entrance examination for liberal arts and sciences, and 6 first prize winners of national discipline competitions. One of them won the gold medal of the International Olympiad. In 2004, 10 liberal arts and sciences ranked first in the total scores of the provincial college entrance examination and entered the Yuanpei Program experimental class, becoming the department-level teaching unit with the largest number of provincial college entrance examination scores in Peking University this year; there are 20 students Among the first prize winners of the National Disciplinary Competition, 3 gold medalists in the International Chemistry Competition chose Yuanpei Program Experimental Class. In 2005, the experimental class enrolled 156 students, of which 17 (9 in liberal arts and 8 in science) ranked first in the total score of the provincial college entrance examination.
Related Questions and Answers
In order to make the freshmen better understand the Yuanpei Program, the relevant questions that the students are concerned about are now answered as follows:
1. Question: Study Yuan What are the direct advantages of the training program?
Answer: 1) The quality of teaching is an important indicator for Peking University to be a world-class university. The Yuanpei Plan aims to make full use of Peking University's overall advantages and educational resources, adopt new school-running models and training programs, and create future political, economic and academic outstanding talents for the country. It is a plan of Peking University's undergraduate education and teaching reform at the beginning of the new century. It implements the educational philosophy of combining general education in the lower grades of the undergraduate stage and wide-caliber professional education in the upper grades. In the future, the Yuanpei Project will be gradually carried out throughout the school. The school will recruit a second batch of students to realize this plan. Your ability to undertake such a thing for the school and the country is your first responsibility for the society after leaving your parents and middle school. The responsibility and honor of choosing to study in Yuanpei is an advantage.
2) In principle, Yuanpei students can freely choose their majors: through general education in the lower grades, students can choose to study according to their personal interests, specialties, future career pursuits and understanding of various majors. Professional. In the past, most middle school students chose their majors out of strategic considerations by parents and teachers or the secular trend of the so-called popular majors in the society without a real understanding of the professional situation. As the direction of education reform, the Yuanpei Project can provide students with an opportunity to independently choose according to their own interests on the basis of a true understanding of the major. The first grade of Yuanpei Program is not divided into majors. It mainly elects general elective courses, school public courses and public basic courses. Students can fully understand Peking University's discipline construction, professional settings, training goals, etc., starting from the second grade, in the tutor’s Under the guidance, determine the major before the fourth semester by taking the basic courses of the major you are interested in.
3) The Yuanpei Project implements a credit system for free elective courses: students in the experimental class implement free elective courses under the guidance of their instructors. Emphasize the autonomy of students in learning and the training of academic methods. The goal of the Yuanpei project is to cultivate students' overall abilities. The focus is not on imparting knowledge, but on cultivating and training the methods of acquiring knowledge and thinking abilities.
4) Strengthen the foundation and dilute the majors: Yuanpei Program is in line with the 10-year university goal. Undergraduate education is regarded as a preparation for masters and doctors in order to adapt to the future development of disciplines. The more and more specialized and interdisciplinary research of masters and doctoral students lays a broad foundation and cultivates interdisciplinary and creative pioneering ability, which is based on the overall consideration of magnanimous undergraduates and precise and specialized postgraduates. On the basis of strengthening general education, the Yuanpei plan is not to downplay professional knowledge, but to avoid the limitation of professional barriers that students are exposed to prematurely in their studies. Understanding the overall state of human knowledge is the basic cultivation of a modern scholar. It can also eliminate the arrogance and paranoia induced by professional monotony, and cultivate tolerance and understanding of human beings as a whole and other cultures and other spiritual worlds.
5) Implementation of a tutor system: students studying the Yuanpei program can receive full guidance from the student learning guidance committee composed of senior professors from various departments of the arts and sciences (these professors are the tutors of the Yuanpei program , Is personally hired by the principal), according to each student's specific situation and learning interests, guide students in choosing courses, choosing majors, and formulating corresponding study plans. Participating in the Yuanpei Program, you will enter a "comprehensive" Peking University, not just a major in a certain department of Peking University. The plan aims to allow Peking University's educational resources (a very precious spiritual wealth in China and the world) to cover and nourish every student. In the hearts of young students of various majors, not only inherit their own professional limited teachers, but also "all" The spirit of Peking University professors will be carried forward by you in the future to show the world and future generations.
6) Implementation of a flexible academic system: Students can arrange a 3-6 year study plan according to their own circumstances under the guidance of their tutors, and they can graduate in as little as 3 years. If you have not completed the undergraduate study tasks within 4 years, you can continue to study after 4 years until you graduate with full credits.
2. Q: What is the difference between studying Yuanpei Program and studying directly in the department?
Answer: First of all, the teaching plan is different. The former implements the professional teaching plan separately developed by the school for the Yuanpei plan, while the latter implements the teaching plan of the department. The Yuanpei plan is organically connected with the teaching plans of each department, strengthening basic courses and adding elective courses. Yuanpei plan does not enter the professional study in the first grade, and only conducts general elective courses and common basic courses; the second year begins in the last semester, under the guidance of the instructor, students gradually choose the majors through the courses of the professional teaching plan that they are interested in. The tutors of the Yuanpei Project also pay attention to the specific implementation of teaching links such as instructing students to read reference books, classroom discussions, and essay writing, guide students to learn actively, independently study, develop comprehensively, cultivate the ability to build knowledge by themselves, and also pay attention to guiding students to participate Scientific research, understand the frontiers of the subject, and cultivate students' spirit of exploration and innovation.
Secondly, the students of the Yuanpei Program can choose according to their own interests through one and a half years of understanding of various majors in the arts and sciences, with the guidance of the tutor and the school's teaching resources.